Freitag, Juni 29, 2007

Corset Part VIII: Final touches

O.k. lets get to the final posting on my corset (yesssssss it is done)

First:The spiral steel boning

Step 1:

Cut the spiral steel boning the appropriate length with a steel cutting pair of scissors and lable it accordingly




Step 2: Add the caps (the caps are there to prevent the steel from poking thru the channeling)
Put one of the caps onto one of the cut ends

Then use some pliers to press the cap closed from both sides of the cap



until it is firmly closed

Do this for both sides of the piece of spiral steel boning and insert the pieces into the channels according to your lables.
Pin the bias binding to the right side at the top of the corset and baste it in place. (Sorry the pics where all blurry) Then using your zipper foot sew it in place, trim the s.a. if neccesary, turn the bias binding over and sew on by hand to the wrong side of the corset.

Before you proceed make sure you have enough cat hair on the corset (just kidding)

Step 4: Try out your grommet setting tools
This step is very important because you don't want to ruin your corset now, do you!
As you can see, I had quiet a few problems with my tools (by Prym) due to beeing stupid, not because of the tools


Step 5: Mark the placing of your grommets
Because I want to lace the corset pretty tight but not overly tight I chose a spacing of 2.5 cm between each grommet. For an even tighter lacing put the grommets closer to eachother

Step 6: Punch the holes into your fabric

Step 7:
Add the grommets ( I highly recommend the grommets, that consists of 2 parts)


and press them closed firmly, using your setting thing.
Step 8: Add lacing and try on
I don't have the right lacing right now (did not decide which kind of lacing I want) so here is a pic of me in the corset with some cotton yarn as a substitute and therefore not completely laced



And yes, that is a real tattoo :)

Edit:
Corset Part VII: The bias binding
Corset Part VI : The front closure
Corset Part V: Dive into embellishments
Corset Part IV: the channeling
Corset Part III: the outer shell
Corset Part II: Making the foundation
Corset Part Ia: Pics of all the notions
Corset Part I: Ordering Notions

Kommentare:

Isabelle hat gesagt…

Gorgeous job, Tini!! Congrats!
You really bring back memories. When I made a corset, though, I had such a hard time with the grommets! It was a nightmare.

Yours looks so great! That red becomes you very well :D

Kerstin hat gesagt…

Nice "character". ;)
A corset "bringing up the best on you". *ggg*

Interesting tattoo...

Lisa Laree hat gesagt…

Wow, Tini, this looks fabulous!

You're giving me courage to pull out my Silver Moon corset pattern and have a go at it...thanks for sharing all the pictures! (especially like the one of the cat hair adding process ;) )

Lori hat gesagt…

Wow! Wonderful job and it looks absolutely fabulous on you! Bravo!

Tany hat gesagt…

Absolutely fabulous! I LOVE it! You look great in it!!! Wow! Thank you for sharing all the details!

madhatter hat gesagt…

drei daumen hoch - WAHNSINN!
:)

bockstark.knits hat gesagt…

wow, it looks so fabulous! love the color and it suits you well. interestingly enough, we have matching tatoos! very, very similar and on the back! :) you were meant to be my SP...

Maria hat gesagt…

Wow! HOT! HOT! HOT!
You look absolutely stunning!
Hugs!

Maria hat gesagt…

Oh by the way... forgot to mention.. I told Rasmus to cut his nails today and he said: "But Tini has much longer nails than I have, why do I have to cut them" :-) I said it was because you are a witch :-) Nej, det var for sjov:-)

Summerset hat gesagt…

Lovely! I love the red lips, too! Just perfect with the corset.

I had to laugh when I saw the picture of your cat on the corset! I think all my projects have a "liberal dash" of cat hair! Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

KayB hat gesagt…

It's really, really gorgeous, Tini!

Mary Beth hat gesagt…

Ahhhhhh, the corset: It's lovely, just a fabulous style on you. Thanks for the pix of the boning process, too. Wear it in good health, Tini!

Marietta hat gesagt…

wahnsinn is an understatment- stunning! AND my other liebling german word: ausgezeichnet!
i prefer the spiral boning-best on comfort and holding shape

Abi hat gesagt…

Stunning looking corset, well done Tini.Thank you for taking time to detail the process.
Cheers