Freitag, Juni 08, 2007

to dye or not to dye

Remember my ice-cream for the kids-colourway dyed yarn, that I sold to madhatter?
After buying it, Mäddi suggested, that I should set up an etsy store and I'm thinking about this A LOT because the number of indie dyers are uhm small here in good ol' Germany and maybe dyeing a bit of yarn would help to buy me this great wool winder ( which costs 68 bucks... argh ) at www.wollwolf.de

btw. I got a wool winder on ebay! 100% plastic but 15 Euro inkl. shipping is not too bad either. Now all I need is a swift...

So I'm looking for nice yarn to dye. 100% Merino is incredible expensive or not plyed in the case of the Hamburger Wollfabric ( otherwise I would pack a trunk full next time I'm in Hamburg. It is just a bit over an hour away....) and somehow I still believe that a little petro-based content extents the life of socks.... BUT I don't want a crappy basic yarn because otherwise you get crappy dyed yarn. And yarn, that isn't crappy is kind of more expensive.

I bought some trekking and will try that out as well as real acid dyes. Even just for my own pleasure.

So I tried to calculate the price of the yarn (because my work is worth something too and my day job shows me people, who don't price their work right every single day...) and I think I'll need to get 10 Euro minimum better 11 Euro to pay for the yarn, the dye, the electricty and my work... I'd ask at a German message board and not many where willing to pay that much...

Maybe I should dye some colourways I love and then put them on etsy and if nobody buys them I'll knit them up myself...

So still the question: to dye or not to dye...

Btw. the new knitters uncensored podcast is up ( see my blogroll) so go over and listen...

Kommentare:

Biby Cletus hat gesagt…

Cool blog, i just randomly surfed in, but it sure was worth my time, will be back

Deep Regards from the other side of the Moon

Biby Cletus

madhatter hat gesagt…

nur zum vergleich - schau mal, was andere bei etsy verlangen.
und noch ein kleiner vergleich: ich habe auch schon 13 euronen für ein knäuel sockenwolle bezahlt, und es war jeden verdammten cent wert - ich würde es wieder tun!

Annika hat gesagt…

Perhaps you might make more money teaching workshops or classes on dyeing yarn than actually selling the dyed yarn - at least in the begining. I started teaching classes in micro-macrame just to bring an awareness of it in the art community here. Then because I had experience teaching it, my work was accepted in galleries and it gave me credibility for when I wanted to write a book on it....