Dienstag, September 11, 2007

Does anybody want a bag??

Dear uncensored knitters (and everybody else: Hi there!),

I have to start with apologies! I really wanted to make the three of you a knitting bag for the Benediktbeuren-weekend but I really messed it up.

The knitting bag was going to be made out of Italian coffeebean bags. On the inside there is a zipped pocket for all the smaller notions like stitch markers or cable needles. A circular needle fits in there too. There is a welt pocket (!!!) in there for dpn's too and a hook, so you could hook a sock project bag to the bag to you don't have to fiddle around searching it.

In the beginning it all went well. The Coffeebagstuff sewed up well and my room smelled nice. I sewed the bags to a backing fabric to give it more body first, then I sewed the bag. Next I sewed a batting layer and then the lining for the bag body.
The body got all the pockets and features mentioned above! And from there it all went wrong. Somehow the lining is bigger than the rest of the bag. Or better: I forgot to make it a tad smaller because it has to be smaller due to the batting!!!

But instead of thinking again and making it smaller, I just went on and applied bias binding to the top and made the overlapping closure! AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH..... stupid stupid stupid me.

Although that wasn't the most dumb thing that I made.

When attaching the top thingy, I sewed it to the wrong side with a sewn zig-zag! This was I closed the zipped pocket just under the zipper. And of course the coffeebag plastic shows all the little holes after ripping (see second pic!)

In the end the bag does not meet my standards for gifts, so dear Kris, dear Cashyie (if you are reading), dear Victor you won't get a bag, just because I'm frustrated! And I'm running out of time to make 3 bags (plus I don't have enough material). Kris already got some yarn, Cashyie too and I do have something for Victor here.... I think I should pour myself some whiskey...

Anyway. If anybody is interested in this bag, which is really really not perfect (see pics) just leave me a note/comment till next monday. If there is more than 1 person interested I'll draw a winner!

At least it is a finished sewn object....




Kommentare:

bockstark.knits hat gesagt…

OMG, I LOVE IT! I love, love, love the idea of a coffee bag, even though I don't drink coffee. And I KNOW Cashyie will want it because it is sooo coool, despite the mistakes. Bring it on over! And if you want to make another one in the future, I will buy one!!! :)

Tini, you are just too sweet! Thanks for thinking of us!!!

Tuesday hat gesagt…

oh I am soooooo interested :D I would love to be entered into a drawing!

Summerset hat gesagt…

What a great recycling idea! How many coffebean bags does it take to make a bag? The interior looks really nice - lots of pockets and a clip.

Marietta hat gesagt…

brilliant!!! absolutley brilliant! why don;t i think of these things?

anea hat gesagt…

To me the bag doen't look as bad as you make it! Could it be that you are just a little bit the perfectionist? I would not say no to this bag - and I am sure the intended receivers neither.

Elemmaciltur hat gesagt…

OMG! That bag looks super super cool though! Thanks for making that for us, even though it didn't work out!! I'm feeling like a loser at the moment since I haven't done anything for anyone for the trip at all. *meh*

turvid hat gesagt…

I love the bag! :)

Bobbi hat gesagt…

I LOVE it!!!

peaknits hat gesagt…

As an Uncensored Knitter Listener (?) I had to mosey over - I think the bag is very cool! and then I looked at your post before this - omg, pear-cinnamon with cognac - that sounds wonderful and I would love your recipe:)