Sonntag, September 30, 2007

Hurray for sleeve heads

Have I ever mentioned how much I do love sleeve heads?

I love love love them. They are such easy way to really improve a lumpy looking sleeve.

Here's my example. Finally I'm working on the jacket that was meant to be the try-out version for the silk jacket that I have sewn earlier this year. The sleeves where somewhat tight and I was really disappointed with the fit ( plus with shoulder pads I looked like a chinese swimmer during the olympics somewhen during the 80s...)


My friend Anja (blogless) helped me with the fit by rotating the sleeves a tiny bit to the front and voilá a much improved fit. After setting in the sleeves they looked like this



Since the sleeved looked awefull, I digged out my watteline and cut 2 stripes 8 inches long and 2.5 inches wide because my watteline is pretty thin and I needed some "ooohmph" to make the sleeves work :)





I folded the watteline so, that one side was 0.6mm shorter than the other, this will prevent the watteline to form a ridge.



Next: Place the jacket wrong side up in front of you:




Pin the watteline to the s.a. matching the raw edge of the seam-allowance with the not-raw-edge of the watteline. The "shorter" edge is closes to the sleeve





Turn over and sew with the watteline close to the feed dogs ( if your watteline is fuzzy try to lay some stabilzer that dissolves in water underneath)





Here's the final result with shoulderpads already installed. A big improvement or what do you think? Parting shot: believe it or not. Greebo loves to cuddle. This is the cat, my MIL thinks of as "the very shy one, that runs away everytime somebody looks at him"

Kommentare:

Summerset hat gesagt…

Much, much improved! It's amazing what a little support in the right place will do.

Greebo is so cute! What a sweet kitty.

Isabelle hat gesagt…

I'm glad I read your post before closing down the computer for bedtime Tini: thanks to you, I've definitely learned something tonight!! I didn't know that technique at all and the difference is amazing in your sleeve.

Greebo is adorable! Aww! Give him a good scratch for me :)

I just remembered I'd started an email for you before I left for Italy!! And I never sent it. I'll really try and do that this week, Tini! Your email about dressforms had been so helpful.

Have a good start of the week! :)

Tany hat gesagt…

I couldn't live without my sleeve heads! Great job!

Maria hat gesagt…

Amazing! You are so talented! Can we do a sewing workshop - just the 2 of us sometime next year? (to other readers: Tini's schedule is so busy that you have to book her long time in advance!) :-)

Hugs and love!

alala hat gesagt…

Really? Then we are doubly lucky that she took time to join us in Benediktbeuern!