Dienstag, August 19, 2008

on finding peace


Dear fellow sewists,

please bear with me that this blog has been transformed into a blog that mostly shows knitting. Please believe me, that I'm still sewing (and be happy, that I did not start to spin!) but I'm making the same piece all over all the time.

I'm still working on the quilt of doom aka my sisters wedding quilt.
Actually I'm not a quilter. For the life of me I can't sew logcabin blocks without a template. There have been really nice sewing sisters sending me little videos to help me get thru this faster but it all comes out crooked and I want this to be nice, so I'll be making 228 paper pieced blocks.

At the moment I'm trying to find peace with this thing. I want to see it as a way, not a burden but it is hard. one of my yoga teachers told us a story fom Momo which is hard to translate.

I'll link to the German version here.

In short, Beppo who sweeps the streets tells Momo to think about nothing but the next step.
Sweep the next step, breath, think about nothing else. Then the road will be shorter than expected.

This is what I hope to achieve. Just see the next block and be happy when it is done. But boy, it's hard. So far I have 65 blocks but I'm bribing myself into working on it.

Some bribes are:

- I'm listening to really good audiobooks while sewing and just then. So if the book is good I want to know what's happening next, so I have to work on the quilt

- Every 41 blocks I'm allowed to make something else

- I'm allowed to work on something else when sewing with others. So I'm also working on a pair of summertrousers but just when sewing with others.

At the moment I sew around 8 -  10 blocks a week. Not too bad!

Kommentare:

KayB hat gesagt…

Oh Tini, my heart goes out to you. But I really like the Beppo-story and it's true, step by step will bring you to your target. Good Luck! with it and I send good vibes towards you :-)

madhatter hat gesagt…

du schaffst das!
65 sind wahnsinnig viele blöcke, da mußt du dir auch vor augen halten... du hast schon SO viel geschafft!

und ich bin mir sicher, daß der quilt eine wucht wird, und die arbeit macht ihn noch wertvoller. wie sagt man so schön: eine liebesgabe. genau! :)

maria hat gesagt…

Oh, I have always loved Momo (Momo og tidsrøverne på dansk). Actually I think it's the only book I've ever read in German... I think you are a bit hard on your self.. sewing should be fun! But I totaly understand why you choose to do it this way!
Hugs!

nosupermom hat gesagt…

Well, Tini, I must say that I live in awe of you. I hate paper piecing (really hate, hate, hate) and I absolutely refuse to sew the same block twice.

So I would never ever finish a project like this (probably not even if my life depended on it)!

Way to go, girl!

Summerset hat gesagt…

Wow, that is a lot of squares. I do the carrot/stick reward thing too with large tasks that I find boring and repetative. I do hope your sister appreciates all of your hard work.

Meg hat gesagt…

Think of how accomplished you'll feel when it's done. And what a wonderful gift.