Freitag, Mai 15, 2009

on cancer

As many of you know, I'm a breastcancer survivor. I had my latest check up at the beginning of May and all was fine.

Now I got the news, that one of my uncles is diagnosed with prancreatic cancer in final stage. It's just a matter of weeks or months, the cancer has already spread.

My other uncle died 5.5 yrs ago on the day of my first chemo due to gullet cancer.

My grandmother died when my mum was a small child due to cervial cancer and her sister died (although at an old age) of breast cancer.

This means that nearly everybody in my mums family has had cancer of some sort and now, dear doctors, how can you tell me, that these cases are not related? I've been tested negative for the breast cancer genes and I'm very gratefull for that but I'm pretty sure, that in a couple of years the medicine will find a way to proof, that some families are more prone to cancer than others.

I'm going to visit my uncle on sunday. We are not close but he has no family of his own execpt for my mum and her family. It's going to be hard. My Dad is going to visit him tomorrow and be around when he'll get the diagnosis. I'm gratefull that it's not me, who has to share these news.

I know, I sound like a broken record but go to get yourself checked on a regular basis. Most kinds of cancers are curable, when early discovered.
If you are female: do your own checks by doing self examinations once a month and see your ob-gyn once a year!
if you are male: go to see a urologist to get checked

See a dermatologist at least every other year for skin cancer screening.

Be sure, it's a lot of money for those without health insurance but let me tell you, chemo is not nice either and dieing young(ish) isn't either.

*gettingdownfrommysoapbox*

Kommentare:

nowaks nähkästchen hat gesagt…

Ach Mist, das ist ja wirklich nicht schön!

Ich wünsch dir viel Kraft für die nächste Zeit! (Und Gesundheit für dich selber!)

Garnprinzessin hat gesagt…

Oh Mist... Wünsche Dir ebenfalls Kraft (und Gesundheit und Gelassenheit...)

Liebe Grüsse von der

Garnprinzessin

Annika hat gesagt…

Great news to hear you had a good check up! Yippee!
I am sorry to hear about your uncle - perhaps you can be of some comfort to him in the coming days.

Christina hat gesagt…

Tini, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Thanks for this reminder, you are right that being screened, however inconvenient it may seem, is much easier than getting a late diagnosis. Congratulations on passing your check-up this month :)