Dienstag, August 25, 2009

Sewing, that is.

Hi there,

I just saw, that I did not post anything about the 2 finished sewing projects I have done in the last weeks (sorry, that it took me weeks(!!) to finish them. It seems, that I have too many hobbies ;)
Actually the weather has been really nice around here and the knitting (and now the spinning) is so much easier to take outside and sit on the porch (which is a Terasse in German not a porch) under the sunthingy that keeps the sun out ;) and enjoy the weather.

So 2 things that is and I'm totally copying my reviews from PR here:

First:
Bias cut skirt from issue No. 5/2007 of the ottobre woman magazine



Pattern Description:
Basic skirt with yoke and bias cut lower skirt part.
Pattern Sizing:
34-52. I made a size 40 tapering to a 38 at the waist.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Mostly. I did add piping to the seam and I decided to cut the skirt front and back in one piece rather than adding a seam at the centre back. Thus I moved the zipper to the side seam.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Totally easy and clear.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I really like the look of the pattern and that it was fairly easy to sew. I also really like, that Ottobre uses real people as models instead of skinny bean-poles.

Fabric Used:
Cotton-lycra denim. This wasn't the best idea since the denim isn't fluid enough, even when cut on the bias to look good.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
See above :) I also did cut the facing out of the same rayon I used for the piping. Plus I did shorten it to a length that looked good on me.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
yes and yes.
Conclusion:
Great pattern, that might become a staple in my house

Second is the shirt I'm wearing: Onion 5022, which I got from Maria at Shoponion.com but it seems it's now OOP
Pattern Description:
Package of 5 different t-shirts. From a long sleeved raglan shirt, to a raglan cap-sleeved to a "sleeveless" shirt. I made View D "Kimonoaermer" which is pratically no sleeves but an extended shoulder seam.
Pattern Sizing: XS-XL. My measurements would have put me into an M but I have already made view A, so I knew, that this pattern runs large and I used a size S. I could have merged into size M at the hips though (need to go onto diet. I sewed a XS last time..)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, totally but better ;)

Were the instructions easy to follow? I do not own the English translation but this pattern has 1 pattern piece, so what should have gone wrong?

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Like: easy to sew, very comfy
Dislike: Nothing

Fabric Used: Rayon jersey remnant from my LFS but unfortunatly the red has bled into the cream part, so this shirt is for at home only.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
Instead of binding the neckline with fold over elastic, I added 1 cm seam allowance and cut a strip of fabric twice the width I wanted the final strip to be plus 2 cm s.a. 20% shorter than the neckline and used that to finish my neckline.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

yes and yes. Awesome pattern and really easy and comfy!

Conclusion:

In my book, this is a winner. I love my raglan long sleeve shirt and I do love this one as well!

Here's a nicer picture


I've worn both garments a lot over the last few days and I really like them both. Too bad, that the fabric bled :(

Next thing I'm going to sew is a more tailored jacket. I just can't decide if I should use Onion 1035 or the exclusive design from burda 01.2009. What do you think?

Kommentare:

Kerstin hat gesagt…

I would prefer the Onion Pattern. It's a bit romantic but still cool.
Burda is so straight and a bit boring. It can be interesting with the right fabric but I would sew Onion. ;)

Mary Beth hat gesagt…

Hi Tini! You look so darling in your new clothes. Love the shape of the top. Hmmmmm. I can see you in both of the jackets but I like the onion one better for you. And...your hair cut is fabo!

madhatter hat gesagt…

looks beautiful - both!

I'm in love with the skirt. The fabric. The piping. It's PERFECT! (Notiz: Nadelstreifen finden)

I vote for the Burda jacket. The onion is very pretty, but too frilly for my taste.
Though it might look nice from a soft wool fabric...

Summerset hat gesagt…

Oh cute new things! I love the red top.

I think the Onion would suit you better - simple and more elegant than all the fussy details of the BWOF.

karin hat gesagt…

When I did weaving a long time ago we sometimes had troubles with colors running into each other, mostly reds...Washing it in 60 degrees instead of 40 stabilized the colors and remowed the bleeding. It´s worth a try since it´s a nice shirt.
I´m really into Ottobre now, realised that their fashion along with Onion suits me better than Burda right now

karin hat gesagt…

I can sew some log cabins for you if you bring fabric to Paris