Sonntag, Mai 09, 2010

Patternreview: Maternity shirt, burda 08.2006 mod. 125

Pattern Description:
Maternity top with gathers at the side seam, modest v-neck and 3/4 sleeves
Pattern Sizing:
European 36-44, I made a size 38 based on my pre-pregnancy measurements.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Absolutley and I'm very happy with that, although now at 27 weeks pregnant with twins I already look like a whale whereas the model has a nice little bump.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were o.k. The shirt on the picture is my second one and I changed the way of how to attach the binding at the neckline.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I think, for a pregnancy shirt, this shirt is kind of stylish without beeing over the top or unwearable. It is very comofortable to wear and with some minor changes to the neckline or the sleeves you have a tnt pattern for your maternity wardrobe in no time!

Dislike: I need more space for the twins but that is not burdas fault and I should be able to modify the pattern quiet easily.

Fabric Used:
Cotton-lycra blend from my stash. I really can't remember when or where I bought this fabric:

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

First I cut off the added s.a. at the neckline of my pattern because somewhere in the instructions you have to cut the s.a. off anyway and why should I add s.a. and then cut it off again??

The instructions say to close one shoulder seam, add the binding and then close the second shoulder seam. This is what I did with the first version I made. Not the best look (or my best work).
So on this shirt I closed both shoulder seams, pinned my binding unstretched to the neckline and marked were the "seamline" should be. I unpinned, substracted 20% added seam allowance and cut off the extra fabric. I made a tube, folded it in half and pinned that to the neckline and again and sewed it on . Then I serged the seam, sewed the little triangle for the v-neck and topstitched everything in place.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I have already cut out the third version but severe pain in my back, due to a blockade of my right kidney, had me take a break from sewing or anything else, since the chairs in my sewing room just made the pain worse!

Conclusion:

Great maternity pattern! I highly recommend it!

Kommentare:

KayB hat gesagt…

Oh Tini, what a lovely round bump! I actually should comment on your shirt, but naturally my eye was drawn towards the 'whole' picture.
I'm glad to see that you're a bit better, although I'm sorry for your troubles with your uncle.
Have a nice week.

Saskia hat gesagt…

Do I know these pants? :D

Cool fabric! Where did you get it?

Bobbi hat gesagt…

You (& babies) look great!!

Tini hat gesagt…

@saskia: jupp, yours ;) and the fabric has been in my stash for a couple of seasons ;)