Sonntag, Mai 09, 2010

A ray of light in a dark time

Hi everybody,

back at Heikos pc :) Mine is at our friends house but he is ill with bronchitis and I don't want to catch that :) and next week is full of doctors appointments (check for diabetes and checking my kidney :( but at least I'm pain free at the moment), so he will come over the week after that.

The weather is dull the last few days and that resembles my mood. Last weekend I got a call from my mum, that my uncles conditions (pancreatic cancer) got worse and that they had to take off one of his legs. Since I could not sit in the car for more than 5 minutes without getting really severe pains in my back, Heiko and I decided to visit him this sunday, hoping that my kidney would get better (it is...).

My sister and my mum visited him last sunday and he did not want to live any longer, the aches and pains where just too much. He was ready to go. Last thursday, he passed away.

On one hand, I'm sad, having lost another member of my immediate family to cancer (cancer 4: my maternal family 1 ->me) on the other hand, I'm happy that he does not have to suffer more than he had in the last year after the diagnosis. Chances where high, that he would have lost his other leg too.

I know, that pancreatic cancer is hard to detect, but most other forms of cancer aren't. My other uncle died of gullet cancer and he had detected knots in his body early. He might live today if he had visited a doctor early.

I'm alive because I went to see my ob-gyn early. I go to my regular check ups! I have my skin checked every other year. Get yourself checked regularly if you are a guy or a woman. Having fought cancer and having lost 2 of my uncles to this dreaded illness I can tell you, that both is not fun!

A ray of light is the second babyblanket I'm knitting:

and that the movements of the twins are getting more and more. This feeling is beyond words...

Kommentare:

Mary Beth hat gesagt…

I am sorry for your loss, Tini. When cancer strikes someone down it brings our own fights back with scary reality. Thank goodness for bright colored yarns and kicking twin babies! I hope things get better for you soon.

Summerset hat gesagt…

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. It is more real to you because of what you've been through physically, too.

Just think of those two new lives inside of you and how amazing it is that you're a survivor and now going to have babies! I love your new top from the previous post - the print is great and you're looking good!

bockstark.knits hat gesagt…

so sorry to hear about your uncle. i am glad that he is no longer in pain and in a better place.

Annika hat gesagt…

I am so sorry your family has suffered so much lately. It is never easy to lose a family member but thank God he is finally out of pain. I am at a time in my life where most of my aunts and uncles have passed from this world to the next, but somehow, I still feel their love and good wishes for me. So here is a toast to all of our uncles: thank you, good, sweet gentlemen!

Anja T. hat gesagt…

Ich fühle mit Dir, Tini!

Bobbi hat gesagt…

Absolutely beyond words!! And will be for a long time.

Isabelle hat gesagt…

I am so sorry for your loss, Tini. (((hugs)))

mel hat gesagt…

I am so sorry to read about your uncle Tini :( I have no words, cancer is terrible. But your twins.... I love to read this, and I am so, so happy for you in this.