Samstag, Februar 19, 2011

weird food

So, I'm trying out tons of new recipes (the last one was for Börek, a deep fried dish from Turkey with Feta cheese. Yummy! I bet it has 1 million kcal :) but sometimes it has to be deep fried...) but last Thursday I just needed:

Buttermilk soup

(sorry no picture but imagine a bowl with buttermilk in it. It just looks the same like uncooked buttermilk ;) )

And then it hit me. It's kind of weird to eat warm, sweetend buttermilk that has mini-pasta in it and is slightly thickend with pudding mix. But it's something that is very typical at least with my family ( altough my mum makes it with pieces of pears and semolina dumplings...). I guess every part of the world has something as a dish, that other people think is kind of weird...

Kommentare:

Annika hat gesagt…

Buttermilk soup sounds like a great comfort food. My mom used to make Milk-Toast which was pieces of buttered toast in warm milk with sugar and nutmeg sprinkled on top. Yum!

Maria hat gesagt…

I have to say that while the deep fried Feta Cheese sound absolutely like something I would love, warm buttermilk does sounds a little bit like baby-food...
On teh other hand - have I ever fed you Koldskål, which is in essence buttermilk with vanilla and eggs and little cookies (called Kammerjunker) on top? In the summer that'll absolutely do as a dinner meal for some people (*host*Dennis*host*) while for me it'smore like a dessert - but lovely!

BrusselsSprout_Katharine hat gesagt…

You're right, there are interesting milk-based velvet-y soups from all over--including this one, which I've had, and it's good! It's a typical breakfast soup.
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kongguksu

It's got to be more 'weird' than buttermilk, LOL.

pretty ´n pink hat gesagt…

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!! Süße Nudelsuppe!!!!
Meine Oma hat früher diese Nudelsuppe gemacht, allerdings mit Milch statt Buttermilch...
Köööööööööööööööstlich!!!!

Liebe Grüße
von Anja

Susanne hat gesagt…

I've never even head of buttermilk soup, and since I'm not a big fan of milk anyway I won't try it. I absolutely love börek, though... (And have never made it myself. Hm. I really should. Especially if I can get my hands on lactose-free feta for my husband.)

Oh, and we don't eat calories at my house, we eat food. Much better.

Lara900 hat gesagt…

yum, Boerek!!! Ich werde mich auf Rezeptsuche machen, das schmeckt uns beiden bestimmt auch. Und von BUttermilchsuppe hab ich noch nie gehoert, aber Griessbrei liebe ich, und ist ja entfernt verwandt. Und eine Mitbewohnerin aus dem Tessin hat als Nudeln mit Ricotta und viel Zucker warm gegessen.