and you thought, this would transform into a cooking blog :) Nope. I've been knitting quite a bit actually but some things need to get to their final destination first :)
But here's what I've been working on:
Sarah-Jane sent me an incredible Valentine-parcel (which I did not take a picture off. Bad blogger, no cookies...) that contained (beside some great Koigu-yarn) 3 skeins of Habu Textile Silk in a lovely brown colour and with a great sheen to it. I was totally in love with the yarn and set out to find a pattern for it, that wasn't tooooooo complicated since I mostly knit in the evenings, when I'm very very tired (since the twins mostly wake up around 4-5 a.m. and sometimes the night is over then. No, they don't sleep thru the night, yet). So Holden was a perfect choice. A main stockinette body with an easy lace edge to keep my interest.
Unfortunately I discovered, that the brown and my complexion just don't match. Even with the black eye (update on that below :) ), so I send it to Sarah-Jane as a thank you (in hope, that it will suit her better :) ). Luckily she likes it :)
I really enjoyed making the Holden, so I made another one :), this time from deep deep stash (Fleece Artist. I got the yarn in a destash from Bockstark Knits 2008 or so)
The green is also not my best colour but it's more blueish than yellowish.
For a friend, who got a baby daughter in January I made another Baby Yours. This time I altered it to be seamless (see my ravelry notes here) Again modeled by M. :
As you see, it's pretty wide but my kids are very slim (they just don't eat well...) and the 6 month size is waaaay to wide. I'm planning to knit them the Baby Mine cardigan for their christening and I'm going to use the 6 months width and the 1 yr lenght :)
I had a hat emergency last week. Our favourite hat (made by Maria) was getting too small! So I knit E. a Buzzbee-hat myself. The only yarn in my stash that matched the requirements was an Alpaca-blend. So I made a size large, since I so hope, that Spring will be here soon and they don't need warm hats for a longer period of time (they are going to wear cotton hats instead...). The pattern calls for a 50gr ball. I used 27 gr (but I made the ties to short. I had read the whole pattern first and somehow 11.5 cm stuck in my head not 20cm. 11.5 cm is another measurement in the pattern but for a completely different step.... Still I don't think, that I would have used 50gr...:)
And lo and behold. The hat is too big. It will fit next winter though (since it does fit ME!)
Here's E. modelling it:
Still very very cute. The yarn is GGH Cumba, which is a very lovely wool-alpaca-poly blend.
So, these are all my finished projects. I have a pair of plain vanilla socks on the needles but that will have to wait for another post.
Q/A: Katharine asked about the insulation qualities of crocheted potholders. Actually I don't like them very much. Mostly because they tend to be too small for my big hands. I usually use these sewn gigantic gloves since I tend to be a bit clumsy and they keep me from being burnt on a regular basis. What I remember though, is that they do keep the heat off quite well. But I just don't crochet...