Mittwoch, Juli 27, 2011

Baking galore!

Ha, blogging twice a week and I already have another blogpost planned ;)

I've been baking like a madwoman the last few weeks. The twins christening is coming up and M. Godfather is allergic to eggs, so I've been trying new eggless cake recipes. I found the site egglesscooking.com and it has great recipes.

For the twins birthday I made the whacky vegan chocolate cake and used it as the base for a chocolate-cherry cake





Everybody loved it (plus is actually has no chocolate in it but cacao, so I can have it too :) ) It's moist and spongy. Of course it does not rise as a cake, that has eggs in it but it was great. (My abilities to decorate a cake are open for improvement ;) )

Next I tried the chocolate zucchini bread and boy, that is a total winner. It's again spongy, so rich and so yummy, that I used the recipe to create another zucchini bread with chocolate too and DH and I finished it in no time (zucchinis are so cheap now)

Here's my version (plus it is metric for those in the countries actually using scales ;) )

190gr gram shredded Zucchini (you can peel it if you like but it's not necessary)
100gr all purpose flour
20gr whole wheat flour (I have a bag of whole wheat flour, that I want to finish)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon natron (baking soda)
50gr cacao powder
1 pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Peel of 1 orange (ground) or 1/2 bottle orange extract
60ml canola oil (rapsöl ;) )
60gr unsweetend applesauce (I use Apfelmark from DM for those in Germany)
100gr white sugar
110gr brown sugar
6-8 teaspoons plain yoguhrt
1 teaspoon applecider vinegar (Apfelessig)
50gr Rittersport edelherb (cut into bigger chunks) or any other dark (60+% cacao) chocolate

Preheat your oven to 160°C (ventilated) and grease a loaf pan. Also line the bottom of the loaf pan with baking paper otherwise you will have a hard time getting the bread out of the pan in one piece

Mix all the dry ingredients exept for the sugars and chocloate in a medium sized bowl.

In another bigger bow mix the liquid ingredients and the sugars.

Fold in the shredded zucchini with the wet ingredients.

Add to this the flower mixture with a big wooden spoon until just combined. Do not use a mixer. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake it between 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted to the bread.

Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

The bread is best eaten a day after :)


As for non-eggless things I made buttermilk waffles using a recipe from an older book called "Waffeln".
The recipe just uses 3 teaspoons of sugar, so it was pretty good with my new strawberry-chocolate jam that was inspired by this recipe

The jam is really tasty but the baking chocolate I used overpowers everything, so it's not spicy at all...

For the kids birthday I also made Oreo-Cheesecake cupcakes but they were gone so fast, that I couldn't take a picture...

Next up: Cooking and sewing!

Kommentare:

Silke hat gesagt…

mhhh, dat zucchinidingens klingt ja lecker, das werde ich dieser tage mal ausprobieren.

und nachträglich: herzlichen glückwunsch zum geburtstag, ihr zwei!!! ihr seht schon ganz schön groß aus verglichen mit frollein böhnchen (obwohl die älter ist). ich glaube, ihr seid was ganz besonderes - ihr habt da so was im blick, das euch ganz klar von normalo-babies unterscheidet ;-)

grüßt eure mama!

herzlichst aus hamburg,

silke

silke hat gesagt…

said and done - habe soeben das zucchinibrot gebacken. fies, das zeug ;-) zum abnehmen ist das auf jeden fall nix...

danke fürs rezept!

gruß,

silke